{{ alert }}
{{ notice }}
{{ warning }}

Special Event Server FAQs

What is the difference between Serving It Right and the Special Event Server course?

The Special Event Server course is an abridged version of Serving It Right with content specifically for serving alcohol at special events in British Columbia. It is intended for servers and bartenders at events of any size along with managers and Special Event Permit holders for events with less than 500 attendees. For all others serving alcohol in the province of British Columbia, Serving It Right remains the required certificate.

I have already completed Serving It Right; do I still need to take the Special Event Server course?

No, if you currently hold a valid Serving It Right certificate there is no need to complete the Special Event Server course.

I have a serving program certificate from another province; do I still need to take the Special Event Server Course?

Certain province's valid certificates are recognized by the BC government if you are working as a server or a bartender at an event with a Special Event Permit. If you are a Special Event Permit holder or working as a manager for an event with over 500 attendees, you will still need to obtain Serving It Right.

I'm moving to another province, is my Special Event Server certificate valid in that province?

The Special Event Server course is specifically designed for the laws and regulations surrounding special events in British Columbia. However all questions should be directed to the responsible beverage provider for that province regarding information on exemptions or transfer of certifications.

How much does the program cost?

The Special Event Server course is available for free. The exam required for certification is $20+tx and includes 3 attempts. If you do not pass the exam after your third attempt, you will have to purchase the exam at $20 for 3 more attempts.

What are my payment options?

In order to take your exam you must complete the registration process and provide payment. You may pay via credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express), VISA Debit or any major pre-paid credit cards.

What kind of exam do I have to take to get my Special Event Server certificate?

In order to receive your Special Event Server certificate, you must pass a multiple-choice exam, consisting of 25 randomly generated questions. The passing grade is 80%, or 20 questions answered correctly.

Is there a time limit on the exam?

No, there is no time limit on the exam.

Is there a minimum age requirement to obtain a Special Event Server certificate?

There is no minimum age requirement on who can obtain a Special Event Server certificate.

How long is my Special Event Server Certification valid for?

The Special Event Server certification is valid for 5 years from the completion date of the final exam.

Is there a minimum age requirement to serve alcohol at special events in British Columbia?

Minors are not permitted to be employed as paid or un-paid servers, bartenders or managers at an event with a Special Event Permit. Minors are also prohibited from selling, serving or handling liquor including the selling of drink tickets.

Is Special Event Server offered in different languages?

At this time Special Event Server is only offered in English.

How long does it take to study the Special Event Server course?

It takes approximately 1.5 hours to study the course. We recommend that individuals study the course before taking the exam.
If you are looking to have liquor service at your wedding, festival or event, you will require a Special Event Permit. Visit the Special Events Permits Online website https://specialevents.bcldb.com or contact the Special Event Permit Helpdesk at 1-855-999-7656.

If I pay and start a test online, but don’t complete it, can I get a refund?

No. Once you have read and accepted the terms of service you have agreed to take the test online and there are no refunds.

Will I receive a physical copy of my certificate?

The program no longer distributes physical copies. However, after passing the exam with a minimum of 80% you will be able to print your certificate under "My Certifications" on the left sidebar.

What if I don’t have a printer?

You’ll be able to download a copy of your certificate to keep on your phone, or email to your employer. If you prefer a physical copy we would encourage you to head to your local library and have it printed from there.

I've changed my name, how do I obtain an updated Special Event Server certificate?

We can change your name on your Selling It Right certificate if you provide us with a copy of a legal document showing your previous name and current name. Documents can be your birth certificate, driver's license, marriage certificate, etc. If you have a typo on your name, or need to change capitalization or punctuation, please click here. If you need to make a change to your legal name, please click here.

Does my Special Event Server certificate expire?

Yes, the Special Event Server certificate does expire. If you received your Special Event Server certificate before September 15, 2015, your certification is still valid and expired September 15, 2020. If you received your certificate after September 15, 2015 the expiry date will appear on your certificate.