Serving It Right
The online Serving It Right (SIR) program is an interactive, self-study course that will educate you about your legal responsibilities when serving liquor.
Serving It Right is British Columbia’s responsible liquor sales and service program for industry workers, that everyone involved in the sale and service of liquor has to take. It is designed to help make sure that the service and sale of liquor is done according to law and in a way that keeps customers, guests and others safe from alcohol-related harms. Other provinces have similar responsible liquor service programs.
The course provides effective techniques to prevent problems related to the service of liquor and covers topics such as:
- Signs of intoxication
- Legal liability
- Reducing alcohol over-consumption
- Reducing impaired driving
- Reducing the risk of violence
- Preventing the sale of alcohol to a minor
- Duty of care on and off premises, and
- The necessity to create and enforce responsible beverage service policies
To obtain your Serving It Right (SIR) certificate, you must
- Pass an exam on the course material
- Confirm that you’ve read and understood the course material
- Declare that you completed the exam on your own and in good faith
Even if this isn't your first time getting certified, we still recommend going through the course material to refresh your knowledge and maybe even learn something new. This course is self-paced so you can progress at your own speed. If you're already familiar with the content, you won't need to spend as much time on it as someone who is brand new to the industry
Includes 1 attempt for the final exam. If you do not initially pass the exam, the cost to re-write the exam is $10.
- A reliable internet connection
- If you are using your smartphone – please ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network
- Turn-on browser pop-ups
We recommend that you take the training program on a desktop/laptop computer. The program is responsive and will work on a tablet or smartphone but you may find the screen size to be small and hard to interact with some of the training elements.
Responsible beverage service does not end with SIR certification. Skills can only be developed through practice and work experience. Therefore, further training is strongly encouraged to build upon the fundamental knowledge acquired through this course.
Upon completion you will understand:
- Your duty of care to your customers or guests
- What your legal responsibilities are when serving or selling liquor
- How alcohol affects the body
- How liquor can affect people’s behaviour
- How to tell when a customer or guest may have had too much to drink
- What you and your co-workers can do to serve and sell liquor safely and responsibly
- How to deal with customers or guests who are under 19 years of age (minors)
- How to stop service or say "No" when customers appear to have had too much to drink
- Getting Started with Serving It Right
- Alcohol Effects and Intoxication
- Alcohol and the Law
- Responsible Beverage Service