Serving It Right Course
The online Serving It Right (SIR) program is an interactive, self-study course that will educate you about your legal responsibilities when serving liquor.
Getting Started with Serving It Right
Serving It Right is British Columbia’s responsible liquor sales and service program for industry workers, that everyone involved in the sale and service of liquor has to take. It is designed to help make sure that the service and sale of liquor is done according to law and in a way that keeps customers, guests and others safe from alcohol-related harms. Other provinces have similar responsible liquor service programs.
The course provides effective techniques to prevent problems related to the service of liquor and covers topics such as:
- Signs of intoxication
- Legal liability
- Reducing alcohol over-consumption
- Reducing impaired driving
- Reducing the risk of violence
- Preventing the sale of alcohol to a minor
- Duty of care on and off premises, and
- The necessity to create and enforce responsible beverage service policies
Responsible beverage service does not end with SIR certification. Skills can only be developed through practice and work experience. Therefore, further training is strongly encouraged to build upon the fundamental knowledge acquired through this course.
Upon completion you will understand:
- Your duty of care to your customers or guests
- What your legal responsibilities are when serving or selling liquor
- How alcohol affects the body
- How liquor can affect people’s behaviour
- How to tell when a customer or guest may have had too much to drink
- What you and your co-workers can do to serve and sell liquor safely and responsibly
- How to deal with customers or guests who are under 19 years of age (minors)
- How to stop service or say "No" when customers appear to have had too much to drink
- A reliable internet connection
- If you are using your smartphone – please ensure you are connected to a Wi-Fi network
- Turn-on browser pop-ups
We recommend that you take the training program on a desktop/laptop computer. The program is responsive and will work on a tablet or smartphone but you may find the screen size to be small and hard to interact with some of the training elements.
PDF Print Version (13MB)
A print version of the program is also available for those who do not wish to take the course online.
Are you ready to take the Final Exam for your Serving It Right Course?
The cost for the online exam is $35.
Your purchase includes 3 attempts for the final exam. If you don't pass the exam after your 3rd try, you can retake the exam for the price of $35.
All purchases are final and payments are non-refundable. Payment for the exam can be made using Visa, MasterCard or an American Express credit card.
Please be sure that you have reviewed all of the course materials to prepare for your exam. You must receive 80% on the final exam in order to receive your certificate. This means answering 28 (or more) of the 35 questions correctly. It's not too late to go back to the course to review the learning objectives now.
The Serving It Right exam is a multiple choice exam. The questions are randomly generated, and therefore, each exam will be different. The exam is not timed and you can log out of your exam and continue at a later time.
Once you have successfully completed the exam you will receive your SIR certificate number immediately and have the option of printing your certificate. You can view and print your certificate at any time.